+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New to the forum

Leo,

Thanks for the kind words. When I brought the machine home, it was in 5 or 6 boxes. I spent a couple of months figuring out how everything went together, then another couple of weeks figuring the software out. As soon as I got it together, I found the prints my dad made during the design stage. (figures) So I can't take credit for the design, but I can take credit for the assembly. I am making small changes to it as I see fit. You can tell towards the end my dad was starting to lose interest. Some of the small details were rushed. I'm fixing those as I see them.

For machine control software I am running Mach 3. For programming I am using the Vectric products. I haven't even touched Aspire yet, but I'll get there soon. I use AutoCad alot to create a DXF file then import it into VCarve Pro to create the tool path. Or just VCarve if I'm doing something simple. I'm still playing around with everything to see how to get the best results.

I left the automotive field about 6 years ago when I felt my body starting to go downhill. It's funny how easy it was to lay under a dash or pull a transmission 15 years ago, my body just couldn't do it anymore. The automotive trade did pave the path for the job I have now. I think it gave me more insight on how things should be assembled and packaged. Most kids right out of school can draw the part, but don't have a clue how it should be manufactured.

Justin
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome to the forum, Justin.

I can't even spell CNC, but "cabinets", "a few drinks"....we could easily become close friends.

Hell, I even twisted a few wrenches back in the day. I still have my dwell meter and timing light.

Dave, in Indiana
    I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by deepsplinter View Post
    . I still have my dwell meter and timing light.
    Ahh, two tools the current generation don't even know about. I think every kid should have to replace a set of points on the side of the road as part of some becoming a man test.
    Share with Facebook  

I threw away my timing light many many years ago.

Personally - I am soooo glad that day is long gone.

Justin - have you tried the free Machinist 3D from vectorart 3D? It's a scaled down version of Cut3D and will do only vectorart 3D models.

I HAD -- Cut3D and V-Carve Pro. I upgraded to Aspire bout a year ago

I still have ProtoVcarve. I used it one time.

Feel free to join in the CNC discussion - as well as all over the entire forum.

We are all just a group of people that enjoy our hobby.

We do have a couple of accomplished professional people in here.
    I am NOT one of them.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook