+ Reply to Thread

Newbie to WoW sends out greetings & felicitations

Thrilled to stumble across this forum! This will be the 3rd online forum in which I have participated, so I beg your understanding & forgiveness if I commit a faux pas of some kind.

I couldn't find any rules concerning marketing of specialty woods on this site, so here goes;
    I have just gotten one of my red (perhaps crimson?) maple chunks sawn into 1" slabs by a nearby Wood-Mizer LT40 professional.

I rescued three "trunk chunks" (crotch , big sidelimb & galled or cat-faced) which were on their way to the dump 5 or 6 years ago, placed them in the pond for 6 mos. 'til all the termites drowned (a horrible death, I hope), and left them to spalt on landscape timbers since then. The results are pretty good, I think. The one piece I moved inside this evening to dry next to the woodstove meas. 16" X 12" X 1", so is slightly over 1 bf. Don't have a digital camera, so no photos avail. at this time, sorry to say.

What might be the market price for this wood, and is anyone interested, or know where I may be able to sell this stuff?

The two largest pieces remain untouched, and can be cut to your specs. I don't have a kiln, but can gently air dry in house to save on shipping weight, if so desired.

Would also like info on which type of hickory yields the best bark for weaving chair seats/backs. I have a variety of them & not even the turkeys'll eat those nuts, so they're not really of much use, except for their blazing yellow fall foliage.

Thanks for taking the time to peruse my first post. I know I can learn a lot from all of you, and hope that I may even be able to assist one of you in the future.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Newbie to WoW sends out greetings & felicitations

Welcome to the forum!!

I would be careful drying wood inside near a stove, it's mostly likely going to crack due to drying too fast. And I hope the pith was removed? I generally just do my best to keep them from direct sunlight and in a well ventilated place(my garage seems to work pretty well), unless I'm trying to 'grow things' on the slabs...then right outside of the garage(north side-least sun) and left to the elements.

Prices? Well that is the hard part. To value any wood is difficult for me. I tend to sell it really cheap. Sometimes too cheap, and everyone thinks there is something wrong with it....thus, they don't buy it! For instance....the last bunch of Cherry slabs, all measured about 72"L x 8-12"W x 7/8"T, I was asking less then $5/ea on them(and the grain structure was more then amazing)......cut them into pen blanks, and a few went to a fella locally that uses a RingMaster(gonna get me a few bowls as trade).

Anyway, rambled enough....see you around the forums!!!!

Scott (I ramble like that) B
    These products offered are just cheaply priced, not cheap quality!
    PR / Wood blanks bargain pricing
    Weekend Specials now being offered!

Share with Facebook  

Welcome to WoW, Squid. I'm pleased to see another "wood processor" join us.

First, I'll echo what Scott said about putting your wood next to the stove. Depending on the current moisture content, it could dry way too fast, leading to all sorts of defaults and damage. Even bringing it indoors might dry it too fast if it is above 30% MC.

Worth is whatever you can get someone to pay for it. It could be viewed as worthless to some and priceless to others. The trick is finding those woodworkers who value unique wood. I can't tell you how to go about doing that other than to advertise it on craigslist or some similar site and also depend on word-of-mouth.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome to WoW!

Quote Originally Posted by squidsct53 View Post

I couldn't find any rules concerning marketing of specialty woods on this site, so here goes;
    I have just gotten one of my red (perhaps crimson?) maple chunks sawn into 1" slabs by a nearby Wood-Mizer LT40 professional.
    Basically what we ask is that you spend some time around here so we can get to know you a bit and make sure you want to contribute, not just use us as a source to move a product. After the getting to know you period, we can put you up for a vote of the membership to make you a commercial member. After that, you can post in the commercial section here.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome aboard, Scott!

Mark's got you covered on the rules. Hang out and get to know the guys - let them get to know ya - and there'll surely be a chance to move some wood along if you wanna.

Glad to have ya!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Icon11 Re: Newbie to WoW sends out greetings & felicitations

Just as I'd hoped, all your responses are informative and useful.

Cody & Scott (drying),
    Have moved piece back to dry porch, standing on end, in order as cut.
    Should I remove pith on all pieces & sticker horizontally, or is standing on end OK?

I'll probably never have a commercial quantity or variety of wood here in the Ozarks, & lack the computing expertise or entrepreneurial drive to put in that much effort,really.
    I enjoy the 'reveal' when I see the pieces and would like to get 'em to whomever can put them to use in their projects. Making a little money would be nice, of course, but max profit's
    not my focus.

Thank you to all, especially Mark on rules & Stretch on decorum. I take instruction well, & don't wish to ever be irritating.

Glad to be here!
    Share with Facebook  

Welcome to WoW, squid.

Dave, in Indiana
    I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by deepsplinter View Post
    Welcome to WoW, squid.

Thanks, Dave

I've really been having fun and learning tons of stuff about woodworking, crafting, loggin', etc.

Glad to be here,

Scott
    'Tis better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.
    Share with Facebook