+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Grizzly G0453Z 15" Planer Initial Review

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    I used 80/90 gear oil in mine and it has a nozzle on the bottle it comes in. The nozzle fit tightly into the hose I used (I think it was 3/8 like yours) which allowed me to squeeze the oil in. It took about a minute to get the oil in.
    I did the same.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by deepsplinter View Post
    I just looked at it on the Grizzly site. I don't understand the "adjustable bed rollers". They're not what moves the board along, are they?
    Dave, the October 2013 issue of the Woodworker's Journal had an article about jointers and explained the reason for the rollers. Art in his explanation was on the right track -- this article just goes into deeper detail about the rollers.

Here is in part what the Woodworker's Journal had to say.

". . .Large planers also usually have another feature that can really help keep stock feeding smoothly: bed rollers. Woods like pine and fir sometimes have sap pockets and/or exude bits of pitch that can turn an otherwise smooth planer bed surface into a sticky mess -- and cause the board to run slowly or stall during planning. Non-planed boards straight from the sawmill can also be difficult to plane, as the rough surface left by the saw mill's course blade creates a lot of friction. Bed rollers (also called table rollers) can help remedy both situations by reducing friction between the board and planer bed. . ."
    Last edited by Johnboy; 08-30-2013 at 3:15 am.
    Share with Facebook  

That is a bad ass lookin Machine! are you planing a lot of 0ver 13 ich material. I was thinking one day I would get the jointer/planer. Congrats on the buy!
    Charter Member of The Cody Colston WoodWorkers Benevolence Society
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Wisardd1 View Post
    . . .are you planing a lot of 0ver 13 ich material. I was thinking one day I would get the jointer/planer. Congrats on the buy!
    I bought it to replace a lunchbox style and it was the next step up. There is only a 3" difference between the lunchbox and this one. The other requirement was that it contain a spiral head. It is much more of a planer than I need but what the heck. I like the power and the surface it makes without the tearout I was accustomed to with the old planer.

To each their own -- I equate a combo J/P to a shopsmith where the tool you have set-up is not the one you need thus inducing unnecessary frustration. My dad had a shopsmith so I have firsthand knowledge. The only reason for a shopsmith in my mind is if you are space challenged because there is little price difference between two separate machines and a combo.

Right now I'm wood challenged since I have virtually none on hand. Therefore the planer has seen very little service. I'm fixing to remedy that soon if everything works out.
    Share with Facebook  

Got it! And it has power which a lunchbox can bog down a bit. You will love the spirals, I put them in my D735 and they have been freaking fantastic. The only thing that really attracts me about the dual is the 10 inch jointer capacity.
    Charter Member of The Cody Colston WoodWorkers Benevolence Society
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post

To each their own -- I equate a combo J/P to a shopsmith where the tool you have set-up is not the one you need thus inducing unnecessary frustration. My dad had a shopsmith so I have firsthand knowledge. The only reason for a shopsmith in my mind is if you are space challenged because there is little price difference between two separate machines and a combo.
    Each to his own. We are all different and some are more organized in their way of working than others are. Having an organized mind is a must if you work on a combination.
    I have a jointer/planer/table saw/spindle moulder combination and personally I would become much more frustrated trying to work efficiently on the small separate machines that would fit into my cramped shop. An 8 inch jointer and a lunchbox planer could not handle the work I do without a lot of frustration and hand planing from my side. It saves a lot of trouble to have a 24" jointer with 7 feet long tables and a 24" planer and a 5 hp table saw with sliding table and a full size spindle moulder. However if I had room enough I would prefere separates for exactly the season that Jonhboy mentions. One day maybe.........
    Dreaming of a Jonsered 32 inch planer of the same kind as an aquintance bought.......
    Last edited by TW; 09-01-2013 at 4:47 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

Today was the first extended use of this planer. I spent about two hours feeding pieces through the planer and I must say I really like it; the choice of a spiral head was one of my better decisions. The old planer had quite a bit of tear out when running rock (hard) maple and this one had zero. I did have a little snipe issue however that is easier to deal with than tear out. Some of the panels were almost the full width of the bed and they came out great.
    Last edited by Johnboy; 09-27-2013 at 4:37 am.
    Share with Facebook  

If you have this planer and are having problems with tearout or roller marks then you might want to look at this video. https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nhU0h1A13sUL.p.

I've never experienced any tearout. I've found that if I try to make to shallow of a cut then I do get out feed roller marks that sand out with the first sanding. No big deal.
    Last edited by Johnboy; 03-31-2017 at 9:52 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

Just a short safety note and this is not speaking from experience. When initially starting your piece into the planer that is shorter than the infeed table's length, make absolutely sure you position your fingers so that they don't get trapped between your piece and the infeed table. The force of the infeed roller will crush your fingers as it draws the piece in.

Secondly, the YouTube link in my last post is broken so you'll need to search for the "Unemployed Redneck Hillbilly" then look for his video on the G0453Z planer.
    Share with Facebook  

My delta does that, but it's from the infeed roller, and taking a deeper cut keeps it from happening. My outfeed roller doesn't have the teeth on it. I just keep the cut depth at about 1/16" and it's fine. I can go a bit thinner but a 1/16" is a half a turn of the height adjustment crank so it's easy.

Here's the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiT5PRL9kLs
    Last edited by Stretch; 02-12-2018 at 1:30 am.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook