+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free CNC Models

Free CNC Models

Viktor posted a great list of free cnc models and I thought it'd be great to have a single place for all this kind of thing.

Here's Viktor's list:

http://www.archibaseplanet.com/gdl/tag/statue

http://hobbycncart.com/load/ingyenes...eto_reliefek/3

http://www.eng.nus.edu.sg/LCEL/RP/u2...tl_library.htm

http://cnc3dart.narod.ru/free.html

Thanks for these, Viktor!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Free CNC Models

I am going to strongly caution that copyright laws be applied.

There will be no lieniency to anything even remotely violating copyright laws.

Links to web sites - OK

Models, clipart created by members - OK

Clipart from other websites posted --- NOT OK

Models posted - stl, dxf, prt, eps, crv - or any others, if questionable - NOT OK.
    If a member can claim absolute ownership - OK.

Also - not all free clip art, or models are available to be made into a thing - then sold.
    Sometimes - free models, clipart, can be sold, but permission rules apply.

Let us ALL - be above board, honest and adhere to the rules.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

I'll second Leo's sentiments 100%.

If it even sniffs of copyright violation, we'll remove it - our goal is to err on the safe side which is the long-term view. If we don't have that view, we could be shut down rather quickly so please don't take it personally if we wipe something that you feel legitimate. Those instances can be discussed privately and and Leo's lead man in the CNC forum so what he says, goes.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

while i learned aspire, i built different type of models..
    however modelingcompaniesare covered almost all themes,and building custom models
    not soaffordable, counting on time needtoinvest in, nottomention on the steep learningcurve...

however not impossible tobuil professionallike models..allsecret is, setting proper resolutions for details
    keeping parts separated and merging them only when really close the finish..

the first mpodel i show you, and post, a hidroplane.. airplane that can landing on water and depart from..

as much i know it is a beaver.. a canadian airplane...
    made after a photo..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	beaver.JPG
Views:	2373
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	12453  
    Attached Files
    Share with Facebook  

well,internet makes easy access formany things..
    innocent pictures couldcause serious issues.. i also agree all point with leo..

for this aoirplane model, i think artcam express will work well... it is only 150, and as you can see on screenshot, you can open stlmodels and toolpath it...
    if theres demand for i design some border for or add lettering..

you also can use the free mill by mecsoft..
    Share with Facebook  

Viktor - cool Float plane - thank you.

Anchorage Alaske has the largest float plane airport in th US. I have been there - it is inpressive.

I have never explored Art CAM, and I am pretty heavily invested into Aspire.
    I will not switch - only because I already have Aspire.

Anyone "looking" should explore ArtCam. It's very popular.
    They are also the producers of Mach3.

Not sure on price comparison -- I am pretty sure Vectric and ArtCam run pretty much neck to neck as they compete with each other.

I remember doing a little price comparisin and I thought ArtCam came up as a little more money.

Vectric is real easy to get pricing - ArtCam is not so easy. That in itself makes me uneasy.
    Share with Facebook  

zipfile,i posted about airplane is an stlfile ... for everyone will work... aspire,cut3d,artcamexpress,freemill.. which one you use you can use the model..

ifnecessary i can convert to crv3d,aspire or rlf-art for artcam..

i cant make judgement on those programs.. i think all of them same good.. i mean folks invested alot work to make them.. and they are working...

another point, price.. yes, when you entered in this, cut2d was the cheapest... express was way more..
    the two company competing.. so all we need is to watch their pricing..

this time express for cut2d price gives vcarving, modelmachining, with features like aspire has.. not all of them, but way more than cut3d...

express can rotate to exact angles the imported model, while aspire lacking this function..

slicing a meshmodel, the free netfabb can do better than aspire or artcam... also slicing with netfab,the original model wontbe altered to heigthmap..

vectors, vectorhandling very weak in both companies programs, as aspire and artcam... compared with coreldraw or adobe illustrator..

compared with cadprograms, autocad and rhino has more advanced vectorhandling than artcam or aspire..
    this time as much i know only rhino does some conversion between bsplines and beziers..
    if you looking for the differences bspline and beziers, they are very close.. however by any differences most program using only beziers or usingonly bsplines..

also this is the reason,with dxf export splines converted to million little straigth segments..

edit: artcam express also can merging models while cut3d can not,as you experienced..
    Last edited by cnclurker; 05-06-2012 at 7:59 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

You don't need to convert -- STL is fine
    Share with Facebook  

ok.. here are some others..

i started otu to practicing with silo... the really first try an icecream cone man... hopefully i can make hands and legs-feet for him..
    i started out several times on the hands, and i just dont like the result..

what is important, they are socalled low poly mesh model.. by this they are taking up little space on the media..
    when need a smooth version of,just need toload example hexagon and with one click they are smooth...

hexagon this time free with dazstudio.. dazstudio also a modeler program however knows a lot more.. you can place """bones"" in a model, called rigging and from here you can animate your model...

why it could be interesting? because after you set a figure, human or animal the scene can be saved and clipping off the back ground you get a perfect relief..

imagine you have a model,like a stagecoach in 3d you set in a specified angle, clipping back and ready.. set another poisiture and make another relief.. and a fraction like creating of scratch a model.. shape by shape..

as my time let me i make some tut about using geometrical properties to creating perspective objects...

the icecone took about 15 hour to this stage... the donkey also about that time.. however they are my first tries in silo so i think it is ok..

Name:	prev.JPG
Views:	2346
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	12552  
    Attached Files
    Share with Facebook  

and conEman

the preview shows as base mesh and as subdivided mesh...

Name:	coneman.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	12555  
    Attached Files
    Share with Facebook