+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lathe chisels

Lathe chisels

Is there a good inexpensive source for chisels you can use with a lathe?

Also, can I use my regular wood chisels with a lathe?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Lathe chisels

Chris: Harbor Freight sells a set that is suppose to be pretty good and they are cheap. If you look on E-Bay there is always some for sale dirt cheap. I don't know what kind of quality you will get. Penn State Industries sell some fairly cheap turning tools, I have some and they do a real good job. Regular wood chisels may be a bad choice, first they aren't designed and sharpened to the right profile to use on a lathe. Could be a safety issue. That being said people use all kinds of thing for lathe tools, screw drivers and allen wrenches come to mind.
    Lathe work is relative safe but you need to at least use eye protection and better yet a face shield. Things hurt when they hit you in the face, not that I ever had that to happen.
    Have fun.
    Fred
    http://steercreekwood.com/

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
    Share with Facebook  

What Fred said. That 8-piece set of turning tools from HF is a good deal, just don't use them on a faceplate turning. For spindle work, they are very good.

If you want to turn bowls or vessels, I'd recommend a 3/8" bowl gouge from Penn State Industries as an inexpensive option.
    Last edited by Cody Colston; 04-19-2012 at 6:37 am.
    Cody

"The reverence that the object maker has for the materials, for the shape, and for the miracle of his skill transcends to God, the Master Craftsman, the Creator of all things, who uses us, our hands, as His tools to make these beautiful things." Sam Maloof (1916-2009).
    Share with Facebook  

Chris, I agree with Fred and Cody. Harbor Freight has some really cheap chisels that are very good return for the money. I still have some that I use on a regular basis although I've added a lot of other tools since I got that first set of turning tools from HF. Here is a link to the ones I would recommend: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...set-47066.html

Use one of their 20% off coupons and you get a very good deal. (those coupons are real easy to come by - if you can't find one, let us know...they are easy to get).

That is strictly if you want to do spindle turning. If you want to get into bowl turning you will need a different set of tools. Penn State is a good place to get those from, maybe something like these http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX298.html

So, what are you wanting to turn? pens or bowls or something in between?
    Share with Facebook  

thanks guys.

i guess i need to confess ...

this is mostly geared towards my band saw project where i will be hooking the wheels up to a motor and spinning them and then using the chisel to make the outside edge perfectly circular, and to give it the curved shape it should have.

later on down the road, who knows?
    Share with Facebook  

Share with Facebook  

Dont buy those Chris , they will just get u hurt or piss u off . Myself if I was goin to buy anything cheap it would be from Penn State Ind. Ive got a couple of there tools , I havent tried the HF tools so I cant commit on um ,
    Boodrow
    Share with Facebook  

I agree with Boodrow that those chisels will be nothing but trouble for what you are wanting to do Chris. In my opinion, you'd be better off using a sharpened screwdriver or a regular old wood chisel than those carving chisels. They are not going to hold up to any kind of mechanized turning and especially not on metal.
    Share with Facebook  

i will stay away from them, thanks.
    Share with Facebook