+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Paint/Paint Thinner Odor

My daughter and son-in-law suddenly have an odor in their home that smells like paint or paint thinner. We've searched the attic, crawlspace, and garage, but have found nothing that would account for the odor. It is strongest in the living room, and either fades or gets more tolerable after a time. Christy's Google search points toward an electrical problem, but I can't find any evidence of that. Any thoughts?

PP
    PP

"If they don't have woodworking in heaven, I ain't goin'."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Paint/Paint Thinner Odor

There is a can of thinner that has rusted and is leaking. I have difficulty with the electrical thing also. Maybe a fan motor with bearings over heating but I doubt it.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Woodworking is just like the Mafia, you need to know where to bury your mistakes.
    Share with Facebook  

I'm with Rich - a can of something rusted or tipped over. You say it comes and goes - how long has this been going on?
    Brian

Chattanooga, TN
    Share with Facebook  

It has only been going on about 24 hours. They have used no paint products at all. Tonight, the odor was strongest between the front exterior door and the storm door. It was really strong!!
    PP

Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPaul View Post
    It has only been going on about 24 hours. They have used no paint products at all. Tonight, the odor was strongest between the front exterior door and the storm door. It was really strong!!
    Does that mean that the odor is in different rooms or over a large area or is it more localized? If it's in a large area or different rooms (or the whole house) then I would start thinking about the heater. Was it turned on for the first time this season recently? If it's more local then I would wonder whether something died somewhere. Wouldn't think that would smell like paint but you never know.
    Brian

Chattanooga, TN
    Share with Facebook  

Maybe the guys painting the house thought that leaving a can inside the vent for the central air duct would be a good place to hide stuff they didn't feel like cleaning up?

Pull the filter, and look inside...

Scott (I'm just guessing) B
    These products offered are just cheaply priced, not cheap quality!
    PR / Wood blanks bargain pricing
    Weekend Specials now being offered!

Share with Facebook  

You suggested an electrical problem. Although to me it doesn't smell like paint/thinner, is there a florescent light anywhere close? If so, could be a bad ballast.
    Mannie
    www.woodenwonderstx.com
    I hate it when people steal my ideas before I think of them.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Glazier View Post
    Does that mean that the odor is in different rooms or over a large area or is it more localized? If it's in a large area or different rooms (or the whole house) then I would start thinking about the heater. Was it turned on for the first time this season recently? If it's more local then I would wonder whether something died somewhere. Wouldn't think that would smell like paint but you never know.
    The furnace has been in use on and off for the last couple of weeks, so if that was the cause it should be more widespread and have been noticed weeks ago. We suspected the odor was coming from the living room, because it was noticed when coming in the front door. Further checking narrowed it to just the space between the doors.

PP
    PP

Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by SDB777 View Post
    Maybe the guys painting the house thought that leaving a can inside the vent for the central air duct would be a good place to hide stuff they didn't feel like cleaning up?

Pull the filter, and look inside...

Scott (I'm just guessing) B
    Any paint product should be out of the question, since they have not done any painting or had any painting done.

PP
    PP

Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    You suggested an electrical problem. Although to me it doesn't smell like paint/thinner, is there a florescent light anywhere close? If so, could be a bad ballast.
    Strike out on that one too. The only thing close is the incandescent fixture just outside the front door. I've checked and can get no odor from that.

PP
    PP

Share with Facebook