Thread: Parts Cart

Re: Parts Cart

Great idea!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

I had a major accident with my parts cart caused by sheer stupidity on my part. I have been helping my neighbor build a red oak headboard and we were using the pipe clamps on the side of the cart. My stupidity kicked in when the clamps were loaded with too many pieces and tipped over (not right away -- about a half hour later) because of insufficient counter weight.

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours fabricating gussets, gluing and screwing the cart back together. I still need to fabricate two stabilizers. I'm in the stage of thinking the problem through as to how I want to implement it. Several images are flashing through my pea brain and haven't settled on which yet.

I'll attach pics when I get the stabilizers fabricated.
    Share with Facebook  

I wonder if a bag of cement on the lowest shelf would help?
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    I wonder if a bag of cement on the lowest shelf would help?
    That is one of the ideas initially floated in my head. It would surely work however would add significant weight to the cart when not using the clamps. It would probably also mean upgrading the casters from the present three to five inch so that the cart will roll over the floor cushions (you know, those interlocking 2'X2' half inch foam rubber pads) with the added weight.

The current frontrunner is a 1/2" pipe that slides horizontally through a 6" 2X4 with a locking screw. A 2X4 block would be attached to reach the floor from the end of the pipe including an adjustable foot to over engineer it. I really don't think it would take much of a stabilizer to prevent another accident. In my mind it boils down to the function of the 6" block and the pipe length as to how well they control the tipping. I think the block length is sufficient and can use a pipe up to 24" long. I could fabricate, since I don't have a drill long enough, a block up to 24" long if necessary.

The main disadvantage of the pipe method is that it creates a tripping hazard when deployed.
    Last edited by Johnboy; 12-20-2017 at 3:21 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

Could you tip back the top or kick out the bottom where the clamps function so it leans the panel back a little, moving the COG closer to the middle of the cart?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    Could you tip back the top or kick out the bottom . . .
    That surely is a great option and one which didn't come up on the radar.

I already have 3/4" pieces behind the bottom clamp supports to kick the clamps out. This is so that the boards lean toward the clamps. You're probably talking significantly more than that though.

I'm thinking the clamps wound need to kick out probably a couple of feet when fully loaded. There would need to be some sort of a hinged structure to maintain the cart's narrow footprint which would add more weight as I'd probably use 2X4 material.

The downside to a permanently flayed structure would be that I have limited aisle space and I'd like to maintain the cart's present 24" width. In the winter months the cart is stored in one of the aisles. I need to pass by it sideways now to turn the lights on.
    Share with Facebook