+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Icon5 Door Won't Stay Closed

In the kitchen cabinets I have an appliance garage with a tambour door (roll-top for those like me who had to look up the term ). Over the last few months, the door will not stay closed. I close it, but it opens back up about 3/4". It only takes removing a few screws to take out the appliance garage, so it should be easy to get at the mechanism. The problems is I don't know how to adjust the door tension. Does anyone have experience with tambour doors, or is this just a trial and error fix.

PP
    PP

"If they don't have woodworking in heaven, I ain't goin'."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Door Won't Stay Closed

PP,
    I just looked at my appliance garage. There is no mechanism. It's all a gravity thing.

Usually the tambour is backed with canvas. Has the canvas frayed and perhaps it is hooking on the track?
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Woodworking is just like the Mafia, you need to know where to bury your mistakes.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by rrich View Post
    PP,
    I just looked at my appliance garage. There is no mechanism. It's all a gravity thing.

Usually the tambour is backed with canvas. Has the canvas frayed and perhaps it is hooking on the track?
    Rich,

Thanks for the idea. I'll have to check it out, but I'm not sure hooking on the track is the problem. I'm just basing my assumption on the fact that the door closes fully, but then pulls up a bit. That said, I really know nothing about these doors. Before I leave for my class, I'm going to pull out my flashlight and look up there. A thorough inspection and/or repair will have to wait until Thursday afternoon, when I will have some free time. It looks like severe storms the next few days will keep me from mowing and raking the lawn again, so it is a good time to work inside and in the shop.

I'm off to grab that flashlight.

Thanks again!
    PP
    PP

Share with Facebook  

What I can see of the canvas looks in excellent condition. I also noticed that the door will not stay anywhere in route, which makes me suspect a spring tension method. It looks like only two screws hold the garage to the upper cupboard, so it should be an easy task to take it out and get a good look. Maybe there is an adjustment that I'll be able to see once I have the door exposed.

On a somewhat related note: After the problem is resolved and the garage is back in place, would a bead of clear silicon around the bottom edge be a good idea? Water from the counter top frequently seeps underneath and has damaged a few things inside the garage.

PP
    Last edited by PastorPaul; 04-19-2011 at 8:38 pm.
    PP

Share with Facebook  

I was gonna' say... I find it hard to imagine that they'd put any sort of "raiser" inside, since they're normally only closed by gravity. I'm betting something else is getting into the mix.

As to the leakage underneath... maybe a little strip of weatherstrip? Silicone is HARD to control into a uniform bead.
    -- Tim --

What???
    Share with Facebook  

Some of these doors do use a spring unit in them. Others use a track that goes front to rear.
    The spring jobs have an adjustment screw or some other way to adjust tention. You should be able to loosen the tention to get it to stay closed. Course too much and it wont stay open. Ya do have to remove the unit from the cab unless you can contort your body to get in to it.

Tom
    Share with Facebook  

I've done "appliance garages" AKA roll tops in both vertical (roll top desk), and as sliding doors. There's never been a need for any spring mechanisms. I don't know of any setups that do have spring mechanisms. For vertical applications, gravity keeps the door down. The only reason that door would be able to open on its own is if there was some restriction as it closed that would push the door up.

DIY assemblies can be as simple as a groove in the ends to carry the tambour. Some of the kits sold have plastic track.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by woodmannie View Post
    Some of these doors do use a spring unit in them. Others use a track that goes front to rear.
    The spring jobs have an adjustment screw or some other way to adjust tention. You should be able to loosen the tention to get it to stay closed. Course too much and it wont stay open. Ya do have to remove the unit from the cab unless you can contort your body to get in to it.

Tom
    Since the door is wound around a roller at the top of the opening, and the way the door operates, I'm inclined to agree that it is spring tensioned. I should find out tomorrow.

PP
    PP

Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPaul View Post
    Since the door is wound around a roller at the top of the opening, and the way the door operates, I'm inclined to agree that it is spring tensioned. I should find out tomorrow.

PP
    I did a search and found some with lift springs in their mechanism. Here is a look at the parts.
    Share with Facebook  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage2a.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	6214Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage1a.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	6213

It looks like woodmannie and I win this one. I got home about 90 minutes ago and decided to tackle the project. Remove two screws, relocate some kitchen items close to the garage, and it slid right out.

As you can see, the mechanism is spring-loaded. My first thought was to loosen the screw holding the spring to the track, but the spring came free and lost all tension. After multiple attempts, I figured out the way to fix the problem.

The door is held in place on the roller by a plastic bracket with a screw going through the door, the bracket, and then into the roller. After loosening that screw, I turned the roller to get full tension back (as far as I could and match the hole in the roller) and re-tightened the screw.

As I suspected, it was too tight to allow the door to remain closed, so I backed off 1 turn on the roller. The door remained closed, but it wouldn't open automatically when partially raised as it had before. I figured that the extra screw hole from going 3/4 of a turn would weaken the wooden roller, so I took it back to 1 turn from full tension and put the garage back in place.

It's just a shame that my my brain was too fried to think about cleaning the counter top before re-installing the garage. Thankfully, it will only take removing those two screws, cleaning the counter top, reinstall the garage, and then caulk or weatherstrip the bottom. But that's a job for another day.

PP
    PP

Share with Facebook