+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 26 pin

26 pin

I have a mach 3 breakout board 26 pin. old computer died new computer does not have 26 pin port what can I do
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: 26 pin

You can either install a new parallel card in the computer or use a 9 pin to 25 pin adapter
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

Leo is correct, you'll most likely need to install a parallel card. I used the following in my last cnc pc upgrade, works well... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GX9HYWE

Edit: Open the pc and see what card expansion options you have, if you don't have the pci express slot, then you may need a pci type like this... https://smile.amazon.com/Syba-SY-PCI.../dp/B003D7TCZ6
    Last edited by dwwright; 01-09-2018 at 10:26 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

Thank you
    Share with Facebook  

I'm a little late to this, but another option that I am going to be trying on my new machine is to get an MCB - a motion control board - like the USB or Ethernet Smooth Stepper board - that can take either USB or Ethernet from the computer and adapt to the parallel port on the driver.

The reason this is appealing to me is that it takes the workload of generating every pulse from your computer and lets the MCB do the pulsing. This could mean an increase in speeds available to you if your computer is under-powered or unable to run pulses very fast.

Check them out - i'll eventually have a video of wiring mine up (when i get back to the new machine)...

https://warp9td.com/

I used to think these were just over complicated adapter boards - they're so much more.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Jason, knowing you, you've done your homework. So, for my edification, how does this all glue together? Do these boards require specialized software to act as drivers in addition to the software you use now? Or, are they supported by the software you now use?

Inquisitive minds would like to know.
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    Jason, knowing you, you've done your homework. So, for my edification, how does this all glue together? Do these boards require specialized software to act as drivers in addition to the software you use now? Or, are they supported by the software you now use?

Inquisitive minds would like to know.
    Great question, John -- the smoothsteppers have a plugin for mach3 - the driving software that decides all the pulses needed. The MCB plugin tells the board what to do rather than sending out all the pulses down the parallel port - basically it intercepts the normal operation somewhere in the chain and takes over at a certain point.

The MCB just sits between the computer and what we all call the "BOB" - or Break Out Board - this is the thing with the parallel port on the machine's controller box -- it really is just an extension of the pins but a lot of BOBs also introduce some handy things like relays that are pin-controlled or VFD speed control analog circuits driven by the digital signal on a pin or two. They're a lot more than just wires extending the pins in a lot of cases.

I'll have a lot more info when I resume my mini CNC build videos soon
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks Jason. A lot came back as you were describing it from the days of you gluing together your present, I'm assuming, larger CNC tool.

While not active in electronics to the extent of smelling hot rosin, I do try to keep up with the latest. I've purchased both a Raspberry PI 2 and an Adriano over the years with good intentions -- you know what they say about good intentions. I've had pangs of automating my blast gates and have seen at least one YouTube presentation using the Adriano. Just not sure if I like the implementation.
    Share with Facebook