+ Reply to Thread

Icon5 Tub/Shower or Walk-in Shower

Some guest preaching allowed me to set aside $1000 toward our bathroom renovation. Along with the vanity and mirror we got on sale, this should get us almost all the fixtures and materials we need... unless!!

Jana thinks we should demo the entire bathroom, relocate the toilet, and build a walk-in shower. I think we should leave the tub, replace the spout-mounted showerhead with a normal shower (could have both fixed and handheld heads), install the new toilet, vanity, exhaust fan, mirror, floor and new electrical.

One plumber, one real estate agent, and a neighbor who has been renovating her home, warn against scraping the tub. They all agree that, if the time comes to sell, people will much prefer the tub/shower combo rather than a walk-in shower.

Their consensus is to go with my plan, buy extra flooring, then after a few years of saving up more money move the toilet as Jana wants and install a walk-in tub with shower. The plumber pointed out that the cost of a new walk-in shower would add about $3000 or more to our project, which would delay the project a couple of years. He also believes that a walk-in tub, combined with the wheelchair ramp and whole house generator, will make the house very desirable for senior citizens or someone who is disabled.

Labor is going to be the problem, unless one of our church groups will take on our project.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments, or suggestions?
    PP

"If they don't have woodworking in heaven, I ain't goin'."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Tub/Shower or Walk-in Shower

I'm assuming this is the only bathroom?

One question governs everything. If you're staying there til you die, then do whatever you want and don't give a thought to resell. Not one bit. Cater it exactly to your needs with no compromise. If you think you'll end up selling in the future and are relying on the money, then keep resell value in mind. That being said, if health problems make getting into a tub difficult, then scrap the tub. It's a safety issue. If you have to sell it later, then throw some money on the table at closing so the buyer can redo the bathroom to put a tub back in.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

We have 1.5 bathrooms that need to be updated and the wife has been on my case for quite some time. My take at this stage in my life is to let the next residents do whatever they want. I updated them 30 years ago and I really don't want to do it again.

I agree with Mark. Its like putting plastic on the furniture so it doesn't get dirty while all the time affecting your enjoyment.
    Share with Facebook  

We have a stall shower and a shower over the tub. The shower over the tub, probably hasn't been used in 25 or so years. The tub is used frequently but not the shower over the tub. Even when the kids were living at home, it was the stall shower that was used.

That and about $3 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Our first choice would be to put in a walk-in tub with shower, but that alone is probably double the cost of the rest of the entire job. My thinking is that if we are going to get by until we can afford the walk-in tub, it makes more sense to spend a small amount to upgrade the in-tub shower instead of $2000 to $3000 for a shower stall that will be torn out in a few years.
    PP

"If they don't have woodworking in heaven, I ain't goin'."
    Share with Facebook