+ Reply to Thread

Winter is coming, time to play with the CNC.

As the title states, I'm done playing with cars in the garage for the season. I expanded my wood shop (this past Spring) and just today placed the CNC in the final spot. I just got done installing a few upgrades (touch screen monitors, new E-stops, new spindle, etc...) and noticed the cables for my x motors are a touch short.

My question is. What are my chances of electrical noise if I extend the harness coming off of the motors by about 6 inches? (just simple steppers) I kept them short when I built it for this reason. (about an inch) The cables are shielded and grounded back to the main cabinet, but the motor harnesses are not. Just the four wires coming off of the motors.

Not sure if anyone here have run into this.

Thanks, Justin

BTW, good to be back guys. We have 6 Months of winter knocking at our doorsteps and I have a lot of things to make in that time.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Winter is coming, time to play with the CNC.

I don't think you'll have to worry too much about the noise over that short distance. If you can, make your extension out of shielded cable and keep it tied with the original cable's shielding and i bet you won't see any problem at all.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Rich can probably speak about grounding with more authority as an engineer. From my experience of working in electronics for a half century, as long as you have only a single ground then you'll be fine. By that I mean don't ground both ends of the shield as you'll get what is referred to loop as resistance. Also, years ago I built a Heathkit oscilloscope where the directions wanted 1/2" pieces of the shield to stick up -- caused all kinds of 60cps noise because neither end was grounded.
    Share with Facebook  

Well I ended up extending the harness coming out of both of the X axis motors using shielded cable then splicing the ground at the attaching connector only. According to my research and advice from everybody, just makes it a longer cable. I ran a few tool paths and the zero position never changed. Everything looks good.

Now on to the touch screens. I have spent 3 days looking for and trying multiple drivers to hopefully make my combination work. As I'm finding out, it's not going to work...

My machine controller runs a old version of XP, very old. The monitors I'm trying to run will only work with later versions of XP. I refuse to upgrade the OS on the controller since it runs the machine perfectly, just don't want to take the chance. I'm going to try to load older firmware on the monitors tomorrow but I'm waiting on support to get back to me.

Either way, touch screen was a no cost luxury, so if it doesn't work it's no loss. would've been "cool" though. We will see tomorrow.
    Share with Facebook  

You can experiment updating the OS if you can take a drive image beforehand - if you're into that kinda thing. That's how I "tested" and "trashed" the free windows 10 upgrades
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Hi there Justin. I was thinking about you lately.

I have had two machines at home, and currently getting a client up and running with another machine.

On my first machine I had a win XP machine and it ran just fine.

On my new machine I was running win 7 without any trouble but I upgraded to win 10 because I wanted everything at home to be uniform. I have 4 computers all networked at home.

The CNC machine on win 10 runs without any issues. As with any operating system on a CNC machine ALL stuff like auto updates, screen savers and background stuff needs to be disabled. The computer needs to be dedicated to the CNC machine.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

I am also running 2 machines on windows 10 with no issues at all. One thing I will say, windows 10 makes it a lot easier to turn all the extras off, compared to previous versions.

Ray
    Share with Facebook  

I just set up a Windows 10 machine for my clients CNC machine, with a fresh install of Win10 - WITHOUT - all the crap you get when you buy a win 10 machine.

I cannot believe how fast it boots up with all the junk shut off.
    Last edited by Leo Voisine; 11-08-2017 at 3:24 pm.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook