+ Reply to Thread

Machine investments

I have largely left this forum theese days because it doesn't quite cover the industrial type of woodworking and machinery I have been getting into.
    I am still hard at rebuilding my 15 year old back problems. Little by little my health improves but I am not back to work yet though I am getting closer for every month. Essentially I am healthy enough to start working but not healthy enough to continue working for long so the doctor and physioterapist prefere that I stay at home until I am healthy enough to continue working as well.

Thanks to single payer health care and the wellfare state we have in Finland this is possible though there have been lots of bureaucrats who have tried to force me to sell off everything I own and quit the rehabilitation and settle for a passive life on socal security. I have fought back and won.

Thanks to my parents who have helped me live super frugally and thanks to some help I have recieved from others and thanks to selling off some unneeded stuff I have also been able to prepare a little for my future. Nobody wants to employ a man who has been ill for many years so I am aiming for a small joinery business of my own.
    Bought worn out machines very cheap and rebuilt then largely using materials found in dumpsters and at scrapyards.
    I have already told about the waterstone grinder and the band saw and the rip saw and here are the rest.

SCM l'Invincibile T 160 spindle moulder. That's a shaper in us vocabulary. It is an early model with oil lubricated spindle and 4 speeds. Likely made in the late 60-ies. I got it cheap when a bankrupcy estate was auctioned off locally.
    It was an a very bad condition. The fence was missing entirely as were most of the insert rings for the table. The dust hoods were missing. All bearings were bad.
    I took it apart entirely piece by piece and rebuilt everything. Improved the lubrication of certain joints.
    Made a new European style fence and a new shaw guard almost entirely from scrap yard materials. Fortunately I did a barter with a machinist and got some of the parts for the fence milled. He saved me from a lot of scraping and filing. I found some table insert rings in a scrap heap and a friend turned a ring that fits between the outermost of those and the innermost original ring.
    The fence plates and shaw guard plates are still missing at the moment but a couple of weeks ago I got some leftover 12mm plywood cheap so they will soon be made.

Valmet drill press.
    Manufactured in the early 50-ies at the Valmet air plane factory in Jyskä in Finland. It has 8 speeds. The bearings were bad and it needed some minor repairs and of cause a new switch box.
    My main drill press in an Arboga gear head and it is always too dirty with cutting fluid from metalworking to be suitable for any sort of woodworking. This was the simplest and cheapest and smallest drillpress I could find that was solid enough for my taste. Two strong men can barely lift it.

A grinder for spindle moulder tooling. The tool holder is factory made sometimes in the 50-ies. The rest is home made mostly from recykled materials.

An All-Electro bench grinder. Bought at a flea market and rebuilt with new bearings and modernized wheel covers and a replacement grinding rest.

Haffner SL 100 hinge and lock mortiser. I got it for free because nobody wanted to buy it. It is a work in progress. I still need to rewind one of the motors......... I fear that may become a bit of trouble........ There are also a few other parts to be made.

I hope this will serve inspration to others who are short of money. A little money can go far if you are determined enough and have good friends and family around you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Allelektro2.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	23360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Haffner22.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	23361   Click image for larger version

Name:	l'invincibile79.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	23362   Click image for larger version

Name:	l'invincibile81.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	23363   Click image for larger version

Name:	l'invincibile82.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	23364  

Click image for larger version

Name:	m4.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	23365   Click image for larger version

Name:	slip12.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	23366   Click image for larger version

Name:	l'invincibile57.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	23367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slip2.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	23368   Click image for larger version

Name:	slip13.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	23369  

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Machine investments

TW,
    It is good to hear from you. I had been wondering. . . .

Like you I'm out of the shop for what looks like 6 months of sorts. I had a total knee replacement that became infected after 2 years. Long story short, we're doing it again.

All I can offer is for you to 'Hang in there'.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Glad to know you are doing OK.

I was wondering how you were doing.

Even though our population here has somewhat shrunk, there are a few diehard members that still appreciate those things that you do, myself included.

I love the old industrial machines.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook  

This way too political. Your injuries and recovery are awesome. Your need to tell how you are taking advantage of a Welfare State and Single Payer healthcare sickens me. This thread should be deleted ASAP!
    Charter Member of The Cody Colston WoodWorkers Benevolence Society
    Share with Facebook  

I love seeing pictures of the older machines. I would much rather purchase a old well used piece of equipment than a new mass produced tool. Keep the pictures coming.
    Share with Facebook  

TW,

I was on a sabbatical for a few years and only recently returned. While it is hard for some of us to admit it, people on this forum have become an extended family. While not truly woodworking, we care about personal struggles and helping our fellow human beings. Life is too short not to extend a hand.

I really like your restorations. It takes a special kind of person to do it with any precision and perseverance both of which I lack when it comes to machinery. I have a tendency to think, if five pounds of torque is good then ten pounds is better. This is why I've bought new tools as I'm not good with someone else's problems. Very seldom are used woodworking tools on say Craigslist because the owner is retiring; generally because they have a problem. Good on you.

Looking forward to the day when you are able to be able to use these beauties.
    Share with Facebook