+ Reply to Thread

Mounting Island Top

Jana found a great deal on a used kitchen island with chairs. The sellers had mounted the top with 2" x 3" x 12" blocks, but they already had it removed and couldn't do a very good job of explaining how they had mounted it. It didn't help that we had driven 60 miles in the rain and were anxious to get loaded and back home.

My original plan was to mount the top by putting screws through the furring strips (for lack of knowing what they are actually called) and into the top, but it is 3/4" particle board with laminate on top. I've never had much luck with getting screws to hold in particle board and I would have to limit the length to the about 1/2" longer than the thickness of the furring strips.

Any suggestions on how to mount the top without having the screws strip out of the particle board the first time we put any pressure on the top? I'm wondering if there is a particular type of screw that holds better in particle board, or if there is a way to mount the top that I hadn't thought of.
    PP

"If they don't have woodworking in heaven, I ain't goin'."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Mounting Island Top

Can u show us a picture? Might help us understand what you are working with.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Mounting Island Top

Hopefully I attached the photo correctly. We visited our local countertop shop Monday and they had a few suggestions. What they use is the way we went: 100% silicone, with what look like short deck screws to give added strength. We left there with advice and a handful of the correct length screws. 24 hours after attaching with the silicone, we removed the weights we had on top. I could not lift the top, but we're going to add the screws for good measure. We've gained much needed storage for pots and pans, as well as a large work area for cooking prep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1825.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	23354  
    PP

"If they don't have woodworking in heaven, I ain't goin'."
    Share with Facebook