+ Reply to Thread

CNC Meets Traditional Woodworking

I guy at my church runs a custom car shop. They build really cool stuff but he's always looking to push the envelope and decided he wanted to get into some furniture. Really industrial stuff using reclaimed objects (that's a nice way of saying junk really) like taking old 50's era refrigerators that don't work and turning them into display cabinets and using old castings and making table legs out of them. So he brought me in and I was intrigued by it so we've been collaborating. The thing is, he's also got a CNC router and plasma table that are massively underutilized. So he had me working with the guy he had running the tables to try to push the envelope. Long story short, the guy had access to all the Vetric software and a 4x8 EzRouter, and all he was really doing was engraving. No 3d stuff or anything and no motivation to learn or dream to really use the machine for cool stuff. So we built a few things, but the guy ended up basically firing himself. I'll be taking the opportunity to dive into something that I've wanted to get into for the last 5-6 years. I have access to a large and very capable CNC router and all the Vetric software and Mach3 and things are about to go down. It's on.

We did these cornhole boards for a local restaurant. The outlines were done on the CNC and I inlaid them by hand. In the future, the inlays will be cut by CNC as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1776.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	23335

Name:	IMG_1777.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	23336

Name:	IMG_1778.jpg
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	23337

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	23338
    Custom finishing still comes in handy.

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	23339

We were also commissioned to make an award plaque. I dug into my stash and brought in a killer piece of crotch walnut. We'll just say the CNC operator didn't hold up his end of the deal. The best part of the grain was cut off, even though I outlined it for him on the piece and he very nearly blew the whole thing up on the table because his feed rate and bit choice weren't correct becasue he wanted to go home and rushed the job. I was able to use my carving skills to salvage the piece, but I didn't do anything that couldn't have been done on the CNC.

Name:	IMG_1787.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	23340

So anyway, I've got some learning to do. I'll probably be asking questions pretty soon.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: CNC Meets Traditional Woodworking

Oh this is COOL!

Man - what a great opportunity!

I'm just pulling my head up from the clouds of some pretty heavy duty life changes (facebook folks will know some of the story, but only a fraction) -- it's high time I posted about that, eh?

I just upgraded to Aspire a couple weeks ago - mostly because the chance with v9 made it worth the leap for me - i wanted what VCP v9 had, and figured i might as well go all the way.

Combining plasma with the cnc router - you should be able to get pretty crazy!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    Oh this is COOL!

Man - what a great opportunity!

I'm just pulling my head up from the clouds of some pretty heavy duty life changes (facebook folks will know some of the story, but only a fraction) -- it's high time I posted about that, eh?

I just upgraded to Aspire a couple weeks ago - mostly because the chance with v9 made it worth the leap for me - i wanted what VCP v9 had, and figured i might as well go all the way.

Combining plasma with the cnc router - you should be able to get pretty crazy!

Yeah, you need to give us an update. I'm on a Facebook hiatus at the moment. I deactivated my personal account and I am still trying to decide if I want to ever reactivate it. The plasma definitely adds some opportunities that can make things really fun.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

I cut facebook a lot of years ago.

I upgraded to my "dream machine" in 2015. Lots more capability than I have before. I also just recently added a 24x36 laser to my shop.

Being that I am trying to get my vinyl siding done and my kitchen done, I have not had a whole lot of shop time.

I want to congratulate you on your new found interest.

I cannot get enough of it myself. I just sold another sign.

I love the creativity, and the endless possibilities.

There are some really cool inlay techniques and some VERY talented people on the vectric forum. Scott brought some samples to my meet and greet this past August that would knock your socks off.

I collect ideas. Even hand sketched ideas. I take a digital photo of hand sketched ideas and turn them into JPGS. I categorize and store them on my computer in a folder called IDEAS.

I cannot wait to start turning them into projects.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Share with Facebook