+ Reply to Thread

Just a "general" workshop expansion with dust collection woes.

It's been awhile guys, but a few remodel projects have kept me busy. I finally finished the upstairs bathroom, with a custom shower and vanity that I built. I went to put all the tools away and realized I just didn't have the room in my present workshop. (saved money by building everything myself, but bought more tools)

Anyway, I decided that the storage room next to the workshop would be a nice addition to the space needed. So I went from having a very small shop to a small shop, I'm ok with that. It doubled in size. All of the drywall and electrical work is completed. I wont bore you with the details.

I figured it was time to step my dust collection up from a shop vacuum to an actual dust collector. This is where things get complicated. I bought a Harbor Freight DC ready to make all of the necessary improvements, but shortly after I was offered the pieces you will see in the pictures. The Oneida unit I brought home is HUGE and is going to be tough to fit in the space, but if it's worth it, I want to use it. What is everyone using?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Blower 4.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	541.0 KB
ID:	23302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blower 3.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	23301   Click image for larger version

Name:	blower 1.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	23300   Click image for larger version

Name:	blower 2.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	485.6 KB
ID:	23299  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Just a "general" workshop expansion with dust collection woes.

Quote Originally Posted by autotec View Post
    What is everyone using?
    I'm using a single stage Delta DC with a canister filter. Piping leaving the DC is 6" to as close to the tools as possible. The piping is then reduced to 4", into a blast gate then into the tool. For the TS and router table I installed a choke cable to open/close the blast gate since the gate is on the back side. All the blast gates are plastic except for the TS and router table because the plastic gates had too much friction for the choke cable to operate smoothly. The TS actually uses two ports, one for the overhead blade guard and one for the TS. The DC has sufficient suction to run with both open at the same time. The 17" BS is at the end of about 30 foot run and there is sufficient suction. So much for all the book knowledge!

Incidentally, I installed 2" PVC from a dust deputy to selected locations; DP, BOSS, 10" BS, etc. It has really worked out well as I probably would never hook up the DP, for example, otherwise. Each location has a blast gate. I have one port above the workbench that I use to install a hose to my ROS when I need it. Very convenient.
    Last edited by Johnboy; 07-06-2017 at 2:13 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

I running a Grizzly 2hp cyclone. I used HVAC ducting for my piping and ran a 7" main trunk that when down to 6" at the first wye because that's the easiest size to get the wye's in. Like John, I ran 6" to as close to my tools as possible before necking down to 4". I have what most would consider to be a large shop, but I still built a 4x8 room off the back to hold my air compressor (80 gallon upright) and my dust collector. This was both to save room and cut down on noise.

I have plans to run 2" PVC to my dust deputy for my sanders, but it's in the middle of a long list of shop improvement projects.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Share with Facebook  

Not sure that Oneida will do much for the direct smoke injection
    Share with Facebook