+ Reply to Thread

Aftermarket Batteries

I've never purchased aftermarket batteries for my cordless drills. My newest two from '07 are finally dead. 10 years out of them. Has anyone here purchased a 3rd party battery and if so from whom? How has it performed and how long did it last?

Should I continue buying only OEM's?

The current battery I need a replacement for is a Makita 1434, 14.4v, 2.6Ah
    Last edited by Tony; 05-04-2017 at 1:58 pm.
    "Governments don't live together, people live together..."
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: Aftermarket Batteries

Tony, I sold all my 10+ year old Makita drills and batteries on crigslist then bought a current model Makita 20v drill and driver. I ended up selling either 3 or 4 drills a small trim saw plus a horde of batteries. I've never looked back. One of my better decisions
    Share with Facebook  

Tony,
    It's not difficult to rebuild batteries. If you can get the case open, the individual cells usually have numbers on them. There are many battery supply houses that will sell you replacement cells.

The cells are usually soldered to metal strips to create the required voltage. All it takes is a small soldering iron to pop the straps loose. Just solder the batteries back in the same orientation.
    Rich
    Huntington Beach, California

Surf's up
    Share with Facebook  

Thanks guys.

Johnny, I wish I could switch, but a bit strapped lately and why I was inquiring about a cheaper alternative. I just didn't want to spend less and get much, much less. On most products I've found you get what you pay for, but didn't know about this for sure.

Rich, thanks that's a great alternative. I'll have to pry it open and see. If it works I'll be bummed that I didn't save all the former casings.
    "Governments don't live together, people live together..."
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Share with Facebook  

I love my panasonic drill/driver set so much that I'll have their batteries rebuilt for as long as they still run. Worth every cent to me. I've had Batteries+ do them and have been supremely happy with their work. I'm going on about 3 years of the first rebuild and they're as good as the first 7-8 years i had on the originals.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

If you can verify the rebuilder uses quality cells, I'd go that route. I would not buy 3rd party batteries as they tend to be junk. Newer packs tend to have the cell connections made out of thin metal spot welded to the battery terminals, with little to no room for rebuilding with a soldering iron & regular stranded wire, so that may make it difficult to do yourself.
    Share with Facebook  

I thought about rebuilding my batteries at one time which led to the thought, if you put lipstick on a pig you still have a pig. If you replace your cells with like kind more than likely you'll be installing metal hydroxide cells and not reap the benefits of newer technology. I'm not sure you can install lithium ion cells into a metal hydroxide form case and make it work.
    Share with Facebook  

Icon14 Re: Aftermarket Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    I thought about rebuilding my batteries at one time which led to the thought, if you put lipstick on a pig you still have a pig. If you replace your cells with like kind more than likely you'll be installing metal hydroxide cells and not reap the benefits of newer technology. I'm not sure you can install lithium ion cells into a metal hydroxide form case and make it work.
    You'd need a new charger, most certainly. LiON batteries need a much different charging cycle than most others.

My view is that I don't have a pig - my NiMh batteries are working more than satisfactorily for me and the drills/drivers are excellent and don't lack in any department. It's worth it to me, at least. Not everyone will agree.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA
    Share with Facebook  

A local Interstate Battery store sells their brand of replacement batteries for everything I have. But , I've priced them and they are really no cheaper than OEM batteries. For nearly the same $$$$ I'd rather use an OEM product.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

You can't swap cell chemistries. Li-ion packs have additional shut down and overcharge circuitry to protect the cells from going critical They are also different voltage cells.
    Share with Facebook