+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New Machine on the way

My shop is 26 x 26

It's a nice size but not BIG by a long shot.

I have a lot of stuff in my shop but it's like 5 pounds of padadas (potatoes) in a 1 pound sack.

Don't forget, I don't store any material on my shop. If I did, I would need to double the shop size.
    Art and Creativity - Collide with the Functionality of CNC - priceless
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

I built my new shop 2 years ago, it's 23X25, but I do store all my materials in there. Luckily I built it with as basement, so it's over 2 floor. otherwise, like Leo, it wouldn't be nearly enough room.....
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I built my new shop 2 years ago, it's 23X25, but I do store all my materials in there. Luckily I built it with as basement, so it's over 2 floor. otherwise, like Leo, it wouldn't be nearly enough room.....
    Shop space is like clamps. No matter how much you have, you never have enough. I have 1600 sqft. but could use more.
    art

He who works with his hands is a laborer;
    he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman;
    he who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.

St. Francis of Assissi
    Share with Facebook  

Quote Originally Posted by art3427 View Post
    Shop space is like clamps. No matter how much you have, you never have enough. I have 1600 sqft. but could use more.
    I have at least 59 bar & pipe clamps...no real shop, though
    Share with Facebook  

How'd the laser cutter turn out?

I've been considering picking up a similar machine sometime in the next few months since prices have gotten quite reasonable on the larger models these days. The one potential "gotcha" so far seems to be customs, can't pin down any of the sellers on exactly what that'll run me, and I've seen a few "horror story" posts about expecting $100ish and getting a bill for 10x that...
    Share with Facebook  

The machine is basically flawless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73shwbR1U6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7dOGkFqsE0

I got it all installed 6 months ago but didn't really use it until December. I am doing a lot of renovation and remodeling on my house which really grabs all my time and energy.

I used an import broker to do all the import stuff. That costs me about $1000, but that is ALL of the import fees, taxes, customs fees, applications, bonds, the broker fees and everything. After that is the cost to move it from the customs storage to your shop. I think that was about $500, for truck rental. The machine cost was around $3000 with a rotary axis, and a few upgrades and accessories. I got an extra laser tube with the machine. Then installation costs, wiring, exhaust, etc. All together around $5,000. Same size machine from Epilog would be 3-5 times the cost.

As to what I expect? All the costs were precisely what I expected. You just need to KNOW the costs are there, then expect the costs. The only horror stories are from those that don't know what to expect, and don't plan accordingly.

I have done this 3 times. I would call it a PITA, but not a horror story.

Yes is IS a PITA to get it all accomplished. Dollar savings is tremendous. Income potential is also tremendous. At the end of the day, I say it is worth the effort.

Would I do it again --- YES, absolutely!
    Last edited by Leo Voisine; 01-13-2018 at 2:39 pm.
    Share with Facebook  

Glad to hear it's worked out so well for you . Like you say, the price difference between these Chinese ones and the name brand is just insane. Heck, for the cost of an Epilog like this, I could buy a Chinese one that'll cut 8mm steel plate...

Good point on the import broker, I hadn't even thought to call around for those locally. There's a major port nearby so bound to be plenty of brokers familiar with this sort of thing.

Now to decide if I want to put new larger doors in the house so I can get it into my office, or just put it out in the workshop...
    Share with Facebook  

My import broker was in Minnesota

I imported to Boston

They don't need to be local
    Share with Facebook