+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: I am thinking of upgrading my jointer to 220 and 8 inches

Quote Originally Posted by Wisardd1 View Post
    This jointer puts out a high quality finish for sure. But, I would not recommend it for one simple reason: the dust collection set up might as well not even be on it. It make more of a mess than a planer with no dust collection hooked up. Saw dust chips fly up through the opening even with a 1750 dust collector. It is simply horrible beyond belief. So, I would not recommed this jointer what so ever.
    Mine was doing that and it was driving me nuts. I tried everything but it kept clogging up. I finally figured out that I had to clean out all the fine dust that was clogging my dust collector filter. It took an hour of hosing it down to get all the fines out but it fixed the problem.
    Mark

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." G.K. Chesterton
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook  

Re: I am thinking of upgrading my jointer to 220 and 8 inches

Quote Originally Posted by Wisardd1 View Post
    Saw dust chips fly up through the opening even with a 1750 dust collector. It is simply horrible beyond belief.
    From my experience that is weird Dale. I have almost the same model (G0490X) as you and I have never experienced anything like you describe. I do get some (as in < 12 or so) chips sometimes on the infeed table, particularly if the bag is almost full or I have inadvertently left two gates open. I get considerably more chips out of the planer which is closer to the DC. My jointer setup includes a 1200cfm DC and about 25' of mostly 6" of HVAC piping. Like Mark I do clean the filter every time I empty the bag.

I just took a quick look at the online parts breakdown and there is a part called a "chip breaker" (item # 98). It's possible that this part is not aligned properly allowing the chips to fly onto the table. It should be a plastic piece and in the planer it is orange in color. There is also a chip deflector (# 54) that is attached to the bottom of the infeed table that may have a problem. The unfortunate thing is that they are on the bottom of the jointer.
    Last edited by Johnboy; 08-12-2017 at 3:59 pm.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  
    Share with Facebook